Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Dirk-Willem van Gulik (vaio)" <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Irratic Curve

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Dirk-Willem van Gulik (vaio) wrote:

> Whilst playing with a small, but fast, berkely DB based transaction
> server; which sits on a tcp/ip socket connection I ran into sometimes
> unpredictable reply times. One of the major problem was solved by
> increasing the MSIZE to 256 (the 103 bytes+ delayed ack problem).
>
> Now recently I came across:
>
> http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Gigabit/performance/prelim.html
>
> Now could any one explain to me WHY freebsd appears so unpredicatable ?
> i.e. not a nice S-curve ? Is that the way of measuring ? Some other
> artifact, or real ? I think it is real, as I get the same sort of
> holes in my graphs for the transaction server.
>
> Any chances on an expose....

Hmmm, i looked at the charts.

The only thing i can say is that the initial drop off at the packet size
of just above 100 is because mbufs are allocated on 108 byte boundries,
suddenly FreeBSD has to switch to "high throughput mode" when you are
hardly exceeding the boundry.

It levels off because after a bit, the extra time taken for larger data
clusters pays off at what seems to be 200 bytes.

It is scary how odd it acts when the packet size is extremely large.
Perhaps the driver isn't coded properly?

You should also consider that they are using freebsd as of 2 years ago,
there are probably major effeciency issues that have been worked on since
then.

-Alfred