Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:35:50 +0100
From:      richard@harlequin.co.uk (Richard Brooksby)
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Installation" and "upgrade"

This is both a question and a suggestion.

FreeBSD has a reasonable installation procedure, and the documentation
talks a lot about "intalling" FreeBSD.  What about upgrading?

I have FreeBSD 2.0 installed, and am interested in updating to 2.1 when it
is stable and comes out on CD-ROM.  Can I use the same convenient
installation procedure to _upgrade_?  Will the install 2.1 procedure
overwrite all my careful configuration in /etc or will it Do The Right
Thing?

If the install procedure _does_ upgrade correctly, then I suggest the
procedure is documented, along with any pitfalls.  If the install procedure
can't upgrade, I suggest that it be changed to do so, or some documentation
is provided on how to do this.

I'm pretty sure you have thought of this already -- there must be a lot of
people with 2.0 who want to upgrade.  I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness
and stability of FreeBSD, which is why I use it.

Keep up the good work.  I wish I had time to pitch in.

---
Richard Brooksby <richard@harlequin.co.uk>
Manager & Developer / Memory Management / Symbolic Processing / Harlequin
+44 1223 873881 (voice)  +44 1223 872519 (fax)