Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:28:11 -0700
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM: Score 3.3: Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

On Feb 11, 2005, at 6:38 PM, Johnson David wrote:

> From: Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC [mailto:chad@shire.net]
> >
> > Not to say that you cannot run a FreeBSD desktop.=A0 And any efforts=20=

> to=A0
> > make that easier are applauded.=A0 I used to run Linux on the=20
> desktop[1]
> > and FreeBSD on the server.=A0 Setting up Linux as a desktop at the =
time
> > (1990-2000 timeframe) was so much easier.=A0 I don't know about now,=20=

> but
> > with Linux (SuSE is what I used back then) it was as easy as setting=20=

> up
> > Windows.
>
> The suitability of a system for the desktop has only a little to do=20
> with installation and setup. If you're a newbie sitting at home=20
> without an administrator, then by all means stick with Mac OSX.

No, I am an admin as well as a software developer and I use OS X=20
because it works, and works well.  I am not bad mouthing using X (as in=20=

X11) for desktops.  It has its place.  I personally have no use for an=20=

X11 based desktop and my time is better spent doing other things.  In=20
its current state, X11 based desktops require a certain amount of=20
caretaking and time spent to make it work, and even then, as a general=20=

desktop, it does not work as well as OS X for the average user.  For=20
certain people, though, it may be the better choice.

>  But the desktop market is far bigger than the newbie sitting at home.=20=

> You also have to consider the business desktop where you have=20
> sysadmins to do the installation and setup. If you can train an admin=20=

> to configure X.org (which ain't that hard), then there's no reason you=20=

> can't have FreeBSD and KDE/GNOME/WhateverDE on the business desktop.=20=

> Other than mindshare, that is.

I am all for people working on FreeBSD as a desktop.  The more=20
non-Windows desktops out there the better off we all are.

cheers
Chad