Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:35:33 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, goldtech@worldpost.com
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

Windows is easier to learn because of it's very nature.  It doesn't really
let you do things you can do with an OS like FreeBSD.  Nor is it, in my
opinion as stable as the BSD's.  Because of the wide array of capabilities
of OS' like FreeBSD, most newbies start with the GUI and eventually migrate
to using the command prompt as their experience increases.  Personally, I
feel KDE was fairly easy to learn and use.  I feel that as more information
and publicity is made available regarding the strengths of the BSD OS, more
people will flock to it and will want to learn more.

I have FreeBSD 3.4 running on a Compaq Deskpro at work and have been using
it sucessfully as a client/server.  It's set up as an Apache server for our
local intranet, an FTP server and a Samba server.  From a client stand
point, I've identified and reported problems on our network using the GNU
Ethereal - Network Protocol Analyzer.  My co-workers/managers have been
impressed and are already showing an interest.

I think if the BSD community gets the same recognition as the Linux
community has been getting lately and more publications are made available,
more people will flock to it and realize what a great OS it truly is.

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Linh Pham     |
|        |          <lplist@q.clos|
|        |          edsrc.org>    |
|        |                        |
|        |          07/18/00 09:53|
|        |          AM            |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>         |
  |       cc:     freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, (bcc: Joe   |
  |       Warner/SMS)                                      |
  |       Subject:     Re: new books, changing my pt. of   |
  |       view                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

I agree that Windows is easier to learn from the standpoint of a newbie
and Joe Coworker and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I personally dual-boot between Windows NT 4 and FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE at home
and I use the latter just to tweak with it and learn more on my spare
time. I generally recommend FreeBSD in situation where someone needs a
server or a firewall and does not want to spend a fortune on software and
hardware.

Stability and performance is a huge key of FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but the
price you have to pay is the somewhat steeper learning curve. The same
goes with Visual Basic versus C/C++. The former is easy to learn and can
do things relatively easy, but it's no where nearly as stable or as
universal as C/C++.

I'm not saying that FreeBSD stinks as being a client OS, but that's not
only the fault of FreeBSD nor is it the goal of FreeBSD (I could be
wrong). The UI/GUI most be as easy to learn as Windows before anyone
starts flocking towards it.

// Linh Pham
//
// Proud supporter of FreeBSD and OpenBSD
// FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org
// OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org

/*   "Oregon, n.:
          Eighty billion gallons of water
          with no place to go on
          Saturday night."
*/

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, leegold wrote:

> Isn't anybody worried that the new O'Reilly books in the making will
leave
> the newbie w/the short end of the stick paper documentation-wise? Imo,
this
> is the current state of affairs.
>
> wait a second,
>
> But upon refection, I have been realizing that I am DIRECTLY comparing
WinNT