Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:03:02 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Important!! Vulnerability in standard ftpd

> It is ttyp* and ttyv* sniffer, logger, password cracker.
> Please, check it out!

These are the kinds of "reports" we can actually do without because
all they do is alarm people without actually informing them of
anything.  You make some vague reference to a tool but don't provide
any information on where to get it, you make vague reference to a hack
but don't give any details on how you confirmed it or the evidence you
gathered, all you're essentially doing is making unsupported
assertions which are basically difficult or impossible to verify.

In short, if you're going to send messages with subject lines like
"Important!!  Vulnerability in XXX" at all, we expect you to follow
some very basic common-sense guidelines for doing advance research and
presentating sufficient evidence for your claims.  If you are unable
to meet that criteria, do not send such messages.  It is very simple.

- Jordan