Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:11:52 +0100
From:      "Stacy Olivas" <olivas@digiflux.org>
To:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: GCC as a selling point for FreeBSD? (Not!)

> Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> writes:
>
> > Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > >
> > > Brett has used his real main talents in the development
> of BSD code more
> > > than enough to deserve our tolerance in his choice of
> -chat topics.
> >
> > Eh?  What BSD code, exactly, has he developed/contributed?
>
> I thought that he developed a whole lot of the Virtual Memory code.  A
> /usr/src/ *.c search finds nothing.  A little time at
> groups.google.com
> found thousands of Brett Glass hits but it left me suspecting
> that I was
> wrong.  I expect that someone who knows better will speak up.
>
> > > It's not nice to bite the hand that fed you.
> >
> > Are you suggesting that Kris or other FreeBSD developers were fed by
> > Brett's hand?
>

> Yes, metaphorically; Kris and any FreeBSD user.  Again, I welcome a
> believable correction.  I really thought that Brett was a sort of
> "BSD Developer, Emeritus".

http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/issue/0,4537,349576,00.html

Take a look at this article..

and these links as well:

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/os2001/speakers.html  has this:

Brett Glass
Brett Glass has more than 25 years of experience designing, building,
writing about, and crash testing computer hardware and software. A
consultant, author, and programmer based in Laramie, Wyoming, Brett obtained
his Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the Case
Institute of Technology and his MSEE from Stanford. He writes and architects
software, designs hardware (including chips, embedded systems, and network
servers), and has more than 1500 published articles to his credit. He
currently writes "Mean Streets," a monthly security column, for BoardWatch
magazine. When he's not writing, consulting, speaking, or cruising the Web
in search of adventure, he may be playing the Ashbory bass, doing carpentry,
teaching Internet courses for LARIAT (Laramie's community network and
Internet users' group), cooking up a storm, or enjoying spicy ethnic food.
He can be reached at www.brettglass.com/mailbrett.html (no spam please).

There are references to him in the "FreeBSD in the Press" as far back as
1999.

So the question is:  Who is Brett Glass?  Well, we know for certain that he
definately is one of the
most vocal advocates that FreeBSD has .. which is good..  You can find a ton
of hits on google
with his name attached that have something to do with FreeBSD ..

So, that said... what is wrong with someone being passionate about not
seeing their favorite
OS get sucked into the GPL codebase?  Sure, he may piss some people off with
his views on
the GPL/FSF/RMS, but nobody says you have to agree with him.