Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:15:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Postfix auth problems on one system, not the other

This is a tale of two postfix installs.

Install one was on a clean 4.7 system, and works like a charm.  Using
pwcheck_pam, everything's peachy.

On the other system, also a 4.7 install, currently running sendmail, I'm
attempting to migrate to postfix.  Everything seems to be working fine,
except I cannot get SMTP AUTH to work properly.

I've got pwcheck_pam running, just like on System 1.
/usr/local/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf contains:
pwcheck_method: pwcheck

just like on System 1.

However, when I connect to System 2, and do an AUTH PLAIN
(base64-encoded-string), it hangs for 5 seconds or so and spits back
"Authentication failed", whereas on System 1, it immediately returns with
authentication accepted.

One clue - when I truss pwcheck_pam on System 1, it shows lots of
activity.  When I truss it on System 2, there's no activity at all.

So it looks like System 2 isn't even contacting the pwcheck daemon to try
to auth the password.

I'm at my wit's end, so hopefully someone will be able to point me toward
something to try to get this working.  Any help will be appreciated.

Package info, System 1:
cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_7
postfix-1.1.11,1

Package info, System 2:
cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_7
postfix-1.1.11,1

--Wade

--
If you have a VCR or MP3 player, you need to read these links:

http://www.digitalconsumer.org/
http://digitalspeech.org/
http://www.libertyboard.org/