Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:31:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Jason Lixfeld <carrera@idirect.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: caching nameserver problems...

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> Recently, at the suggestion of an email, I attmepted to setup a caching
> nameserver on my FreeBSD 2.1.5 system.  I'm having a bit of trouble..
>
> First off:  When I finished all of the updates for the caching nameserver,
> I rebooted the system.  Everything went fine, until the rc file took
> over.  It was running OK, until it got to 'Clearing vi sessions'.  The
> system appeared to halt, but that was not the case.  It just took
> literally 5 minutes for it to do these checks, it then proceeded to give
> me the login prompt.  This was curious as it was fine up to the point that
> I added in the updates for the caching nameserver.  I logged in, and typed
> 'ppp' to start ppp, this too took over 5 minutes to do anything but show
> the program credits.  Everything appears to work FINE, it's just that
> there is lag from something.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

this sounds like you have bind before hosts in your /etc/resolv.conf...
move hosts before that... and make sure that all your names you use are
listed in /etc/hosts...

> BTW:  I have the /etc/sysconfig setup for ifconfigging 'inet localhost'
> (It was previously set to 'inet 127.0.0.1') and it configures lo0 ok.  I'm
> also running named, and it too appears to be in good working order (As
> everything shows as ok when the system boots up).

hope this helps... ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)