Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:05:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David A. Panariti" <davep.freebsd@meduseld.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible trojan since upgrade

Perhaps we should add the following to the the default greeting
message used by sendmail (SmtpGreeting in
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/main.c)

Welcome!
This is a for profit mail relay server.
We charge $250 per piece of mail relayed.
To accept these terms, please type HELO or EHLO.
To refuse them, please type QUIT.

davep

   >> Since I upgraded to a recent Stable CVSUP, I've seen this kind
   >> of message about once a day in the /var/log/maillog file.  I
   >> suspect a trojan as the "root" user did not send email at this
   >> time, there is no matching entry indicating that the mail was
   >> sent, queued, or so forth.  The system seems to slow after this
   >> entry shows in the logs.
   >>
   >> Don't know for sure whether this came from a CVSUP or somewhere
   >> else... there are only two users on the system.
   >>
   >> Can anyone point me where to look to eliminate whatever is
   >> causing this email connection?
   Matthew> Just because the message comes from 'root@zzzzzz.com'
   Matthew> doesn't mean it originated on your system.  See below for
   Matthew> details.

   >> ----------------- from /var/log/maillog
   >>
   >> assume host zzzzzz.com
   >>
   >> -----------This is the entry in question-------- Sep 27 13:44:40
   >> medusa sm-mta[1742]: g8RIiXgt001742: from=<root@zzzzzz.com>,
   >> size=0, class=0, nrcpts=1, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
   >> relay=[202.80.192.29] -------------Next entry------------- Sep
   >> 27 13:46:59 medusa sm-mta[1746]: ruleset=check_relay,
   >> arg1=host101-38.pool21 758.interbusiness.it, arg2=217.58.38.101,
   >> relay=host101-38.pool21758.interbusiness.it [217.58.38.101],
   >> reject=550 5.7.1 Mail Rejected - see
   http> //relays.osirusoft.com