Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 03:33:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        pzw@aabc.dk
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Bind 8.2.3

I've got a good guess what is causing this:

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 pzw@aabc.dk wrote:
> ...using a Cisco 667 router with NAT...

> The problem is, when I ask for an address from outside my nameserver, it
> always replies with ... (The static IP of my router)

> It could be something in the named.conf I've missed somehow, or something
> else?!? Does anyone know what this might be?

I'm assuming you mean 676 instead of 667.

Regardless, I suspect if you were to put a packet sniffer between the DNS
server and the 676, you would see that the server is replying with the
correct address, and that the 676 is faithfully rewriting
(translating) the address to the outside address of the 676.

I'm looking to see if I can see how to disable this functionality, but I'm
not seeing anything..

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE