Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:40:56
From:      Richard Paschal <paschal@primenet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install creates invalid partition table

Hi,

This is an FYI intended for those maintaining the installation disk
slicing/partitioning code.

I tried to install FreeBSD 4.0 from the powerpak CD today.

The 9GB SCSI UW target disk is one which previously contained four (4)
slices.  The first is MSDOS 125MB (OS code 06).  Effectively, the second
and third were deleted to form a non-partitioned space and the fourth is a
Windows NTFS 4048MB data partition/slice (code 07).  3 stable used to be
the last slice.  I needed more space and wanted to create two new slices
inside the non-partitioned space for FreeBSD, 2500MB for system and 2000MB
for data.  There is another disk present, part of which is used for swap
and /usr/obj.

The installation program found the two existing slices, da0s1 and da0s2,
and I created two new slices that it called da0s3 and da0s4.  A red flag
went up, they were out of order.  It should have created da0s2 and da0s3.
At no time did I mark either of these partitions active.

It should have created da0s2 then da0s3, each time moving the NTFS slice so
that all starting sectors would be ordered lowest to highest as their
sector addresses increase.

I let the installation continue to see what would happen.  Everything else
went well except for the 6x13 X font that didn't get copied.

Upon rebooting, the MBR-partition table was bad.  It indeed had the two A5
entries last.  They were both marked active (80)!  The MSDOS entry was
marked inactive (00).  I saved the sector just in case someone asks for it.

I restarted the BSD installation, removed the A5 slices, exited, rebooted
MSDOS from an emergency diskette, checked the table, and ran FDISK.EXE,
marking the MSDOS slice active.  After a little more work and two reboots,
the system was restored to its prior state.

As a work-around, I created the two slices using the NT Disk Administrator
and marked them A5 with Diskprobe.

If you must reply, do so by e-mail, I'm not subscribed to questions.

Richard