Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:58:03 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compatibility Question

At 7:42 AM -0400 2000/6/26, Matt Heckaman wrote:

>  I don't know, 512M (2x256) of ECC RAM will cost me 2,200$ - that's an
>  awful nasty hit to be taking for what the server will do, which is a
>  generally nasty business called shell services.

	Ouch.  That is quite a lot of money, but then a shell server is
usually the sort of machine that gets pounded on the worst, and in
the worst ways -- all sorts of bizarre things that users try, some of
which are actively trying to break security and exceed their
authorized level of access, others that are just curious about this
new thing they just heard about, some who are just plain clueless,
etc....

>                                                   In other words, there is
>  no single client paying thousands of dollars for web hosting of their
>  company's core page that will cost them (and me) a fortune for any
>  downtime :) Given this situation, I've a hard time justifying that cost,
>  which is only a few hundred dollars less then the *entire* machine is
>  going to cost me, especially for it's role :)

	You have to make that cost/benefit analysis for yourself, and it
may well not be worth it for you.

	However, I'd encourage you to go look at the archive for
-questions, and do a bit of research on how many times people have
strange unexplained crashes, how often they claim it works just fine
for them under Windows, and then try to figure out for yourself how
many of these crashes are likely to be RAM-related.  Myself, I'd put
that number up pretty close to 100%.  However, that's just my own
personal opinion.

	Of course, once you figure out what percentage you'd give to that
number, you then have to figure out what your "costs" are.  There's
your time debugging the problem, the amount of work lost by your
customers multiplied by the number of customers and what their time
is worth, the amount of money that you could have been bringing in
that was otherwise wasted trying to fix the machine, the "cost"
resulting from damage to your reputation, and the resulting loss of
future business.

	I'm sure there's a lot of other hidden costs in there that I'm
overlooking.  I hope someone else will jump in here and help flesh
out this list.

	Once you have a full list of all potential costs, you can then
assign estimates to their values.  Once you've done that, you can
then compare that total cost to the cost of the ECC RAM, and you can
figure out whether it really is worth it or not.

	Only you can make this decision.

	My experience is that it's usually not worth trying to go through
and do a full cost/benefit analysis of having or not having ECC RAM.
Instead, I err on the side of caution, and I specify ECC RAM
everywhere, perhaps in some cases where it isn't strictly necessary.

	However, we do tend to re-utilize machines around here quite a
lot, and although for one particular purpose ECC may not be a strict
requirement, for another it might.  It's better for us to not have to
worry about whether or not a machine has ECC RAM, should we have an
emergency that requires that we get a new machine up and running as
quickly as possible.

	But your shop may be entirely different.