Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:07:49 +0200
From:      Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Important!! Vulnerability in standard ftpd

Hello, Jordan Hubbard!

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 04:03:02AM -0800, you wrote:

> > It is ttyp* and ttyv* sniffer, logger, password cracker.
> > Please, check it out!
>
> These are the kinds of "reports" we can actually do without because
> all they do is alarm people without actually informing them of
> anything.  You make some vague reference to a tool but don't provide
> any information on where to get it, you make vague reference to a hack
> but don't give any details on how you confirmed it or the evidence you
> gathered, all you're essentially doing is making unsupported
> assertions which are basically difficult or impossible to verify.
>
> In short, if you're going to send messages with subject lines like
> "Important!!  Vulnerability in XXX" at all, we expect you to follow
> some very basic common-sense guidelines for doing advance research and
> presentating sufficient evidence for your claims.  If you are unable
> to meet that criteria, do not send such messages.  It is very simple.
Ok, I'll never send vulnerability reports.
Thanx.

P.S. I've already said in this thread where you can get data for you
experiments, so stop flaming and contact
Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>. He sure have been
hacked the same way as I've been few month ago. btw, I've already contacted
him, if he will reply with data needed I'll forward it here.

--
Alexandr P. Kovalenko	http://nevermind.kiev.ua/
NEVE-RIPE