Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:09:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        steve@visint.co.uk, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps segfaults since I overclocked. and worries.

> > I'll shut up now, but if FreeBSD isn't going to be supporting hardware
> > that will be becoming standard soon then I'm slightly worried, I'd have
> > thought current- was the testing ground for stuff such as this
>
> Certainly, though clocking pre-standard hardware up to the standard
> and testing that would only constitute poor testing methodology.
> Before becoming even slightly worried, I'd first want to see test
> failures on hardware where all components are rated for the conditions
> of the test.  Considering the number of manufacturers involved just in
> getting all the components on a motherboard to work properly together
> at some target clock speed, it's often surprising to consider that the
> whole mess works at all.
>
> 					Jordan

If perhaps the sumbitter doesn't understand the error of overclocking:

You just purchased a 1979 Ford Pinto station wagon. However, you are upset
after driving it for a while that it won't go above 65 MPH. Feeling smart,
you go and purchase soe rocket fuel. You pour it in your gas tank, and all
seems well until hit a steep hill, at which time the engine explodes.

This is not the fault of: Ford, the card dealer where you bought the car, or
the hill itself.

Likewise, Overclocking your processor and having things fail is not the
fault of: Intel, your board manufacturer, or FreeBSD.

Kevin