Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 14:36:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> > > And that is why some RAID systems use (battery backed up please ;-) RAM
> > > caches. This works quite nicely.
> >
> > And you find these caches will fill up and some point in a sustained
> > write test and you end up right back at the 20% performance loss I
> > was talking about.
> >
> > Pure stripping of drives always outperforms RAID, you always pay some
> > price for reliability, and it is usually performance or $$$.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  You don't always need to suffer the
> performance loss if you're willing to suffer with the data density loss.

The problem is with RAID to have the reliabilty of any 1 drive going
bad means you must write data to at least 2 drives for all write opertions.

This means unless you greatly increase the density of your storage by
going to mirrors you are going to lose performance.

> With a fast channel to the array and dedicated hardware driving the
> disks and calculating the parity you should be able to get close
> to N times the throughput while suffering while losing 1/(N+2) of
> the potential storage, where N is something like 8 and I'm assuming
> a parity drive and hot standby.

You'll never get N times the throughput because you always have to
write to 2 drives to keep the parity data up, thus your bandwidth
increase is more like (N/2).  I agree that the time loss for parity
calculations is near zero.  To achive a N factor performance increase
you must go to N * 10 drives using RAID :-(, a very large cost hit.

> You're paying again but not in throughput, unless you are comparing this
> with a 10 way stripe.

A 5 wide stripe will have better performance (N=5) than a 5 drive raid
system (N=5/2=2.5).