Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 06:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man refs, deCSS disclaimer, merging with sound chapter

>Nope.  The entity refs work irrespective of whether or not the port
>is installed.  So use them :-)
I find this very hard to believe, but I will do as you say and await
a miracle. :)

>I'd say leave it as a footnote.
But currently it is an incomplete footnote ('SOME SORT OF CSS
DISCLAIMER HERE).  I'll try to make something official-sounding
and if someone wants it changed, they can PR it.

>A chapter on multimedia?  How about a complete top level section, with
>chapters for video, audio, DVD playback, CD playback, and so on?  Or are
>some of those not likely to generate a full chapters worth of content?
DVD playback is not much different than video playback.  The same set
of tools have knobs on them for both, and those knobs exist or not
depending on compile options.

On the other hand, a separate section on CD playback is a nice idea.
Currently the handbook does not talk about 'cdcontrol' which (if I
recall right) is now part of the base system.  From the handbook alone
one might guess that the only way to play an audio CD is to mp3 encode
it and then listen to the mp3's.

Also, in the "CD playback" chapter (which we might want to call "Audio
CDs") we might want to include instructions for burning an audio cd
with cdrecord, burncd and cdrdao.  Yes, it is true, that if one reads
the handbook and then looks at `man burncd` or `man cdrecord` one will
be able to make an audio CD (assuming one knows to use audio media to
burn to), but we can make more explicit instructions on how to do this
in such a chapter.

I'll try to rework the sound chapter into a multimedia one by monday,
but the 'audio cd' portion of it may wait until I have time to focus on
it.

-r