Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:33:20 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dubois@primate.wisc.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Hr.Ladavac wrote:

> E-mail message from Michael Hancock contained:

> > > % id
> > > uid=501(terry) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff), 0(wheel), 552(ncvs)
> > > % touch /var/mail/dubois
> > > % chmod 644 !$
> > > % ls -l !$
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 terry  wheel      0 Oct 30 17:02 /var/mail/dubois
> > > % mail -s "pay me a dollar to unlock your mail" dubois < /dev/null
> > > Null message body; hope that's ok
> > > %
> >
> > The work around is to use mailer readers that truncate instead of remove
> > the file when all messages have been deleted or moved.
>
> How about:
>
> user is not yet there, but will be ... or he didn't receive any mail yet.

Got me on the first one, but the prankster has to predict names.  It's
probably acceptable for a lot of sites.

In the second case use an administrative program that sends mail each time
an account is created.

Regards,

Mike Hancock

BTW, I'm just playing devil's advocate.  I like flock() and proper
permissions on /var/mail.

What I really prefer is using procmail to delivering to
/home/%u/mail/mbox.  This requires changes to pop3 and using a mail
reader that can look elsewhere more flexibly.  Or just use imap and pine.