Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:10:47 -0500
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

>it doesn't seem too unreasonable.  As of Jan. 2001, out of 27 million
>sites checked, 15 million were running apache.     250k of them being
>freebsd would mean about 1 in 60 are freebsd.. I expect that number is
>probably higher.).
>
>With 250,000 estimated sites cvsupping to each server, If each server was
>assigned a unique time to (just begin) it's cvsup, spaced one hour apart,
>it would take 28 years for each server to cvsup just once.  This is
>obviously not the case.  Possible explainations are that I've
>overestimated the number of machines cvsupping (just 10k machines though
>would take over a year); that the machines cvsupping, in general, have far
>less bandwidth than the machines running the cvsup mirrors; etc.

I did a BAD MATH here.

That 250k should be split over all the cvsup servers in the US, not just
pointing at one.  That works out to about 15k if you say 16 cvsup servers
to pick from == about 2 years for every machine to cvsup just once, at a
rate of 1/hour.

-------signature file-------
PGP Key Fingerprint:
446B 7718 B219 9F1E 43DD  8E4A 6BE9 D739 CCC5 7FD7

"I don't think [Linux] will be very successful in the long run."
"My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux is quite
unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is worse."
-Ken Thompson, Interview May 1999.

http://www.freebsd.org
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve

http://www.rfnj.org