Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:06:23 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trout (was: C vs C++)

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 07:15 pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Kenneth Culver wrote:
> > I'm not saying it can't be done, but generally speaking based on the Open
> > source and commercial products I've seen, the ones that are written in
> > C++ suffer from more bloat and run slower.
>
> "A trout is a fish."
> "Therefore all fish are trout."
>
> I think you just failed set theory... ;^).

I couldn't pass this up...  The original comment has nothing to do with set
theory per se; it has to do with the validity of extrapolation of data.  The
reason I couldn't pass this up is because I've just been reading Newton's
Principia, in which he addresses this very point (in his third rule of
reasoning in philosophy).  He would say that if all observed C++ programs are
slower and have more bloat, then we should assume all possible C++ programs
are slower and have more bloat.  Not a question of mathematics.  Whether or
not the premise is true is an entirely different question, and one which I'll
leave to the professional coders  :)

-David