Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 15:09:40 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 - Isa devices not being probed

At 09:54 AM 5/27/00 +0200, John Hay wrote:
>> In message <200005261723.NAA16495@etinc.com> Dennis writes:
>> : My 4.0 system doesnt probe ISA devices on my system.
>> :
>> : Whats the trick? Is there a config requirement with old-style drivers?
>>
>> They probe great for me.  what, specifically, isn't probing?
>
>He is probably talking about their own driver. In that case you have to
>add it to /sys/i386/isa/isa_compat.* or bite the bullet and new-busify
>it.

Yes....Whose brainstorm was it to use the new convoluted bus nonsense in
FreeBSD 4.0? Clearly someone who never wrote a driver with a complex
controller with indexed memory mapped registers.Whats next, assembler drivers?

isa_compat.h? LOL...what college freshman thought of that? Is it really
that difficult to have the prefix_probe() function called based on the
config file?

Its seems rather humorous that the "generic" bus implementation requires
that isa drivers be hacked into the kernel with a build-time include. Very
humorous indeed. Is this a temporary condition as was the deboggle in v3.0?

any docs on this junk?

DB