Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:42:02 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New User's Handbook Part III

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 at 00:19:55 -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 at 06:53:51 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 12:14:58PM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> > > After implementing most of your suggestions, and fixing a few
> > > errors that were pointed out to me, I've rebuilt and uploaded the
> > > New User's Handbook
> > > <http://soupnazi.org/~jim/FreeBSD/newuser-handbook/>.
> >
> > Hmm-m-m-m.
> >
> > I dunno.  It kinda reads like the "FreeBSD Advertising Ourselves"
> > Handbook.  It's like it's targetted at people who haven't installed
> > FreeBSD yet, or made the decision to, rather than people who have
> > installed FreeBSD and are now trying to work out what to do with it.
>
> True.  The content is from the existing handbook though, so we probably
> oughta re-evaluate that to :-)
>
> > Chapter 6 is the most "new user-ish" bit there.
> >
> > It looks like I'm going to be around for the O'Reilly docs session,
> > and a couple of days after that.  Maybe we could get together at WC
> > on Monday or Tuesday and brainstorm around it for a bit?
>
> Sounds like a plan to me.

Since this didn't happen, we might as well do this here :-)  As far as
content goes, what did you have in mind?  The stuff there just came from
the existing handbook (as the porters-handbook did), but I'm willing to
rewrite/split stuff up -- it'd be good to have some sort of direction
when doing so though.  If anyone else has ideas on this, I'd like to
hear those too.

- jim

--
/* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
/* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */