Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 01:09:13 -0400
From:      George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
Cc:        George Georgalis <george@galis.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finally a Linux with a ports collection

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:31:57PM -0700, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>On 2002-05-14 00:13 -0400, George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:

>> >Well actually, yes.  Since I knew I was moving to San Diego, I
>> >planned to learn to surf... but Andrew saying "Let's surf" makes
>> >it a lot easier to duck out of work early.
>> >
>> >I went again today.  The water is still pretty cold--wetsuit
>> >required--but there were pelicans diving for fish all around,
>> >and the sunset made the western sky into a hazy rainbow.  It's
>> >quite a sight when viewed from a surfboard bobbing in the sea.
>>
>> Where did you go out? I know all the breaks. Lived there till I moved to
>> Manhattan recently, now I'm actually in Hoboken, no surf, no snorkeling,
>> no pelicans just geese.
>
>Well, I live in Pacific Beach, 2 blocks from the beach, so I like to
>go out by the pier.  Saves driving with the surfboard on the car.
>I also like La Jolla Shores, Del Mar, Tourmaline.  I haven't surfed
>Windandsea yet.  I'm still a newbie at this; I'll get there.
>
>I'm sorry to hear about your New Jersey.  You'll have to come back to
>visit.  Do you have any surf suggestions for me in the meantime?  :)

Well Blacks is Biggest! The underwater canyon focuses the waves. Watch
out for the weirdos there. You can't park on the streets like before,
and there's the hike up... almost easier to walk up from Scripps -- or
just go out at Scripps.

I only caught a few waves at wind'n'sea, not exactly my style. Much
better body surfing there, but watch out for the surfers! Can't beat
the chicks at wind'n'sea!

Speaking of body surfing, Marine St, between Marine St and Sea Lane
by the TacoBell on La Jolla Blvd is prob the all around best in the
continental US. There's reefs visible south and north, Little Rock and
Horseshoe but those breaks are for the experienced. Hospitals (further
north) is a good intermediate for surfing, but can be serious too. Learn
the rocks when the waves are small.

Don't forget to pick up a mask, snorkel and fins for the Cove. The water
is clearest now before it warms up. AM is best. :)

I lived in PB in the late 80s, on Loring near Beryl, so that's where I
went out a lot. And NJ is not too bad, I'm :15 from my door to Manhattan
(the city that never sleeps) and I don't even need a car, my town is
quiet and clean -- shouldn't complain, but I'll be back to CA too.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org