Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:43:18 -0400
From:      "Dave" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD ISP" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Good dual port NICs?

I imagine its a matter of quantity like everything else...
if it costs $10k to setup, design and manufacturer a card
over 100 cards = $100 per card plus componants.
over 100,000 cards = $0.01 per card plus cost of componants.

Would imagine demand for multiport NIC's isn't as great as simple single ports.

or, (and more likely) just a way for them to make more profit since server folk
are more likely to spend money on what is perceived to be better product (note
Cisco)

just thoughts

have usedwhat I am assuming is a similar chipset on the Intel server boards (on
board nics) with no problem.  Have not stacked multiport nic cards on top of it
though.

cheers,

Dave