Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:58:17 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade 3.4 -> 5.0 -current Success

On Tue 2000-04-04 (21:14), Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> I installed the 3.4 normal user, bin and docs on the new disk.  I
> copied /etc, /usr/src and /usr/ports from the old -current disk.  I
> did a make world to upgrade to -current.
>
> 'make world' had two problems.  The buildworld phase completed
> successfully.  There were two problems in the install phase.
>
>   1.  install-info.  The 3.4 version of install-info does not support
>       the newest version of the flags, it wants -section, not
>       -dsection.  I copied the version in
>       /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin to /usr/bin and this problem was
>       solved.  Can 'make install' use
>       /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/install-info?

This is a known problem, and unfortunately my solution to it broke
cross-compilation.  Someone more intelligent may just fix it soon.

>   2.  sh is installed and then is used in later in the installation
>       process.  The number of syscalls changed, so the new version of
>       sh core dumps.  I copied a 5.0-current kernel from another disk,
>       rebooted, and install completed without error.  Can make copy
>       or link the existing version of sh to tools and use that during
>       the install?

I think you're supposed to reboot with a new kernel (built with
'make buildkernel && make installkernel') and then installworld.
This is the new 'one true way'.  It's not supposed to work over
more than one major version, so I doubt 3.4 -> 5.0 will work for
much longer.

> Good work on the make/install process.

Cool.  Marcel and others deserve a massive round of applause.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za