Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:03:10 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matlab 5.3

Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Just speaking of layering, can we lose /compat/linux/tmp in your new
> > > packages?  It makes temporary-file rendezvous between Linux-space and
> > > BSD-space programs fail, eg. when printing from Netscape.
> >
> > We need a /tmp under /compat/linux for rpm. Some packages assume there is a
> > /tmp. Also, Staroffice 5.1 extracts its installer in /tmp. This could be
> > problematic if the root partition is not that big (for example with the
> > default FreeBSD partitioning scheme).
> >
> > I originally didn't want a /tmp under /compat/linux, but found out the hard
> > way that we can't do without.
>
> We can't do with it either.  Are you running stuff chrooted inside
> /compat/linux?  If not, why doesn't the regular /tmp work?  If you are,
> can you delete it when you're done?

Whenever you specify the --root option to rpm, it does a chroot.

But lets aproach this differently:

Am I right in saying that we can solve the problem when we let the emulator
create (and only create) files under / by default and not under
/compat/linux?

What gets broken if we do?

Is there a way we can have more control over this behavior, such as with
file modes?

Or can we settle with this behavior for only temp directories (and how to
implement it)?

Don't get me wrong. I prefer to not have any temporary directories under
/compat/linux, but we must not rush this thing and change everything only
to find out that it breaks more than it fixes.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/