Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 04:23:13 +1030 (CST)
From:      Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@ns.aus.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <dolemite@wuli.nu>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [hackers] Re: Netgraph could be a router also.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, David Gilbert wrote:

> Terry> By "it", I guess you mean "FreeBSD"?
>
> Terry> What are your performance goals?
>
> Right now, I'd like to see 500 to 600 kpps.
>
> Terry> Where is FreeBSD relative to those goals, right now, without
> Terry> you doing anything to it?
>
> Without any work, we got 75 kpps.
>
> Terry> Where is FreeBSD relative to those goals, right now, if you
> Terry> tune it very carefully, but don't hack any code?
>
> With a few patches, including polling and some tuning, we got 150 to
> 200 kpps.
>
> Note that we've been focusing on pps, not Mbs.  With 100M cards (what
> we're currently using) we want to focus on getting the routing speed
> up.
>
> One of the largest problems we've found with GigE adapters on FreeBSD
> is that their pps ability (never mind the volume of data) is less than
> half that of the fxp driver.

This is intriguing. I have found with Samba that I am able to achieve
approx 100MB/s read from cache with 1500B frame sizes (ie, no jumbo
frames) over a BCM5701 on an 850 MHz PIII with FreeBSD 4.3 and similar
rates from em0 on a 2GHz P4 with 4.6. Both results were with 1500B frames
and considerable free CPU (50% on the 850MHz PIII).

However, given that they were full 1500B frames (99%), at least in one
direction, perhaps that does not count.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe@ns.aus.com, rsharpe@samba.org,