Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 16:10:32 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD sort l10n: I give up!

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 21:49:44 +1000, Tim J. Robbins wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 02:55:37PM +0400, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
>
> > No, it not works since breaks so many other places.
>
> I guess I have to agree with you there, that it does break -n and -f and does
> not handle (for example) German correctly. I still do believe that a similar
> approach could correctly handle all the ISO8859 character sets, only it's not
> as simple as it seems.

I think so too, initially. I even have correct
ascii,Rascii,Ftable,RFtable,gweights tables in my last committed variant
(but not for various -R). Nope. -n broke them all because it hardcoded to
ASCII but sorted in the modified (collated) order.. Back permutation table
not helps because of different forms of main (collated) order
corresponding to -r -f flags. Via some hacking I even made variant without
-R works for -n too, but it not means it will not be broken for any future
locale we can have.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/