Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:57:17 +0100
From:      Haider Roland <r.haider@liwest.at>
To:        'Hyunseog Ryu/Brookfield/Norlight' <HRyu@norlight.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: SMART-2SL support?

Hi !
gone through that just a few days ago.
I set up a proliant 3000 with a SMART-2
and (mad enough) a ASUS board with a=20
SMART 3200.

First of all, you have to configure the controller
in a Compaq box, but then it also works
anywhere else. You just have to reboot to
initiate an array-rebuild.

Now for the drivers: Matthew Dodd did a great=20
job with the driver. It's in -current and will be in
4.0-RELEASE.

I don't know about -RELEASE but as far as the
pre-release snapshots are concerned, there are
a few gotcha's.

First, and pretty obvious, you have to recompile
the kernel as support is not in GENERIC.

Then i had to install on a spare (non array) disk
to get the array recognised. (I copied my custom
kernel to the boot floppy, but sysinstall didn't see
the logical disks on the array.) Booting from that disk
sysinstall sees the array drives as wdX and you can
install on them.
After removing the spare disk i was able to boot from
the array, althoug the root partition is wd0e in my case
and i have to specify it manually at the boot-promt.

Sofar i'm verry happy, and i just wait for the release
to complete the installation and put the systems in
production.

Cheers, Roland

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Hyunseog Ryu/Brookfield/Norlight [SMTP:HRyu@norlight.com]
> Gesendet am:	Mittwoch, 23. Februar 2000 23:54
> An:	freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
> Betreff:	SMART-2SL support?
>=20
> Hi, there
>=20
> I'm somewhat confusing whether FreeBSD support Compaq SMART-2SL SCSI =
RAID
> Adapter or not.
> Is it DPT compatability product?
> If FreeBSD can support Compaq SMART-2SL card, which version of =
FreeBSD do