Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:53:37 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dos and Don'ts

On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 09:30:44AM +0000, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> > I sat down and wrote up a small list of these, for new users.  I
> > hope to include this as part of the FOO.TXT files (if there is space
> > available - I'm not sure if they go on the boot floppy), or at least
> > somewhere easily visible.
>
> A few suggestions:
>
> DO use RCS for storing configuration files in /etc once your machine
> is set up or write it down in a note book. Otherwise, you will forget
> the majic one line change in /etc/<somenotobvious>. Many
> configuration files in /etc include <foo>.local so use it.

RCS might be a bit hard on the beginner; I moved it later and split
this into two points.  Do the following look OK?

DO keep a notebook of which configuration changes you do as you first
	set up the machine; you _will_ find it useful.  At some point,
	you may want to look at 'man rcsintro' for details of how you
	can have the machine remember it for you.

DO separate out changes in /etc/<configfile>.local whereever this
	applies - it will make updates much easier.

The use of 'man rcsintro' instead of rcsintro(1) is intentional - I
don't think we can expect beginners to understand the name(section)
syntax.

> Contentious ;-)
> DONT use sendmail, use exim.

Hmm, I don't think I'll include this in any official docs from the
project ;-)

Eivind.