Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2018 21:57:57 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for cheap PCI-E network adapter ?

On 03/01/2018 21:51, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> Some people cuss at Broadcom, some people swear by them.   I don't own
> any of there cards, but I have never had problems with the inbuilt
> broadcom nics in any of my dell servers.

I've been using Broadcom for years, integrated on Dell motherboards, and
they're fast and reliable. HOWEVER, there are long-term problems with
the driver and WoL. If that's not important to you, it doesn't matter.
They're (theoretically) faster than Realtek and better bang per buck
than Intel IME.

https://blog.frankleonhardt.com/2013/freebsd-wake-on-lan-and-hp-microservers-wol-compatible-ethernet/

Regards, Frank.