Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:25:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Mehler <dmehler@davemehler.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/83354: When two 3c905's are in a Vectra Vl dhcp fails to give an IP for the requesting card.

>Number:         83354
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       When two 3c905's are in a Vectra Vl dhcp fails to give an IP for the requesting card.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD zeus.davemehler.net 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #2: Sat Jul 2 16:03:45 EDT 2005 root@zeus.davemehler.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZEUS i386

When two 3c905's are placed in a Vectra VL, the first xl0 getting it's IP via an external dhcp server, the other xl1 statically assigned the xl0 card fails to obtain an IP. The error is:
"network is unreachable"
If the second card is removed the procedure works fine, either on boot with:
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
in rc.conf
or with
dhclient -v xl0
This is not a cabling, i've tried four different cables, machine, two of them, or an i/o or interrupt issue, the cards are on different settings. The second card doesn't have to be configured in rc.conf:
#ifconfig_xl1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
just having it in the box is enough to exhibit this behavior. Each system has it's pnp os option turned off, but the on option didn't correct this either. I've also seen in the 5.2 days, behavior with the rl driver, same setup, two realtek 8129's in a box, the first one wouldn't take a dhcp address.
>How-To-Repeat:
Place a single 3c905 in a vectra vl and either have:
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
in rc.conf or:
dhclient -v xl0
on boot, this will obtain a dhcp lease. Power down the box, place the second card in the system, and power it back on, in this case the second card need not be configured the first card doesn't obtain a dhcp lease.