Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:28:22 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 12:28:44PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> On the other hand, what exactly is http://www.ufp.org supposed to be useful
> for when www.ufp.org is the same thing.

The specific problem I ran into that started this is that the 'copy link
location' option in browers (correctly) includes the whole URL.  To use
it with most FreeBSD tools then requires manual editing.  See the next
section for some thoughts.

> What would happen if I did mutt http://www.ufp.org ?

Nothing, as I see it.  To me, there are three catagories here of ways you could
make things work:

1) Work with type-appropriate URL's.

   That is, mutt mailto:bicknell@ufp.org should work, and lynx
   http://www.ufp.org should work, but traceroute http://www.ufp.org/
   doesn't.

2) With with type appropriate URL's, with diagnostic tools extracting
   the relivant bits.

   So we still have mutt mailto:bicknell@ufp.org, but something like
   traceroute http://www.ufp.org or ping ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD
   pick out just the host portion, and run a diagnostic to them.

3) Try to find the information needed.

   All of the above would work, plus some wacky things, like
   mutt ftp://bicknell@ftp.ufp.org/pub/foo would mail bicknell@ftp.ufp.org,
   since mutt needs a user and host it extracts the user and host part
   from the URL.

In any case if all the info needed wasn't there, the command would fail,
a-la mutt http://www.ufp.org (no user portion).

> Accepting URI's instead of hostnames isn't necessarily something I'd be
> against but there has to be a point to it.

To that end, I think catagory #1 is important (and 75% implemented).
Catagory #2 is useful, and is not really a perversion of the URL
scheme.  Catagory #3 strikes me as a bit over the top.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440