Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:45:25 +1000
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I get a lower serial number on my dns zone out into the net?

I believe the "fix" for this is to ramp your version number up to
the maximum 32 bit value and wait for the other servers to see
that value. Then change the version number to 0, wait for them to
see that. Then finally put it at your normal version number.

Cheers.

Leif Neland wrote:
> I have mistakenly written a too high serial number in my dns zone file
> (damn vi-replacements. If it isn't vi, don't call it vi).
>
> The serial number on the net is:
>
> $ORIGIN dk.
> internet        IN      SOA     ns.internet.dk. allan.internet.dk. (
>                 2800171117 86400 3600 3600000 86400 )
>
> The local serial is:
>                 1998041401
>
> Naturally, other servers out there won't upgrade their cached values,
> when mine seems to be older.
>
> How do I fix that? Do I forever have to use too high serials?

      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |