Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:39:27 -0500
From:      Dave Johnson <dbj@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mobile-IP?

>I was wondering if there was currently support for Mobile IP in either
>FreeBSD-regular or FreeBSD-PAO?  (i.e., tunnel-style
>forwarding/encapsulating of IP from the home network to the mobile
>location).
>
>I am in the process of writing a user-land IP tunnel utility for use in a
>VPN-environment, but as the behavior of Mobile IP is very similar, it
>seems applicable.  I currently have an implementation of a tunnel using
>/dev/tun over UDP, but will have a raw-sockets direct IP encapsulation
>(using IP protocol 4) sometime later this week.  This is something that
>could definitely be done kernel-side, but since FreeBSD does have a nice
>user-land tunnel device, this seemed like a quick way to prototype it.
>

>  Robert N Watson

Robert,

The CMU Monarch Project Mobile IP implementation supports FreeBD
(as well as NetBSD).  This implementation supports the complete
IETF Mobile IP protocol and is widely used (last I looked, almost
600 FTP downloads).  Our current main release (version 1.1.0)
supports FreeBSD 2.2.2, and is available from:

    ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/monarch/mobileip/mip-1.1.0.tar.gz

The newest alpha release of our implementation (2.0.0-alpha) now
supports FreeBSD 2.2.5 and also includes support for the IETF Route
Optimization extensions to the base Mobile IP protocol, and also
contains improved support for multiple interfaces and foreign agents.
This release is available from:

    ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/monarch/mobileip/mip-2.0.0-alpha.tar.gz

The IETF has yet to standardize Route Optimization for IPv4, and this
code represents an intermediate stepping stone between the current
version of the drafts, and the direction the drafts are headed.  Ideas
appearing in the newest drafts are being tested out by this code, and
this code will be updated to remain current with developments in the
standardization process.

Also new in this release is improved support for multiple simultaneous
interfaces and foreign agents.  The mobile node code, "mobiled", has
been greatly simplified with the addition of a table of "registration
methods".  There is one entry in the table to represent each of the
possible methods the mobile node can currently use to obtain
connectivity. The registration method table greatly simplifies the
logic, making it easy to adjust the policy used to pick how a mobile
node should obtain connectivity at any point in time from the
available choices.

For more information on the CMU Monarch Project, see our Web pages at

    http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/

You can also find copies of all our research papers and links to the
above FTP URLs on our Web pages.

					Dave

--
David B. Johnson                      E-mail: dbj@cs.cmu.edu