Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:21:07 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm@mathematik.uni-marburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What laptop do you recommend?

> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:48:27 +0100
> From: Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm@mathematik.uni-marburg.de>
>
> Moin,
>
> * Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > Oops! I forgot one VERY important detail. The BIOS update on 29-Nov-2005
> > is very important! Without it there were several problems with ACPI and
> > suspend/resume.
>
> Can you describe the problems?  Does suspend while running X works now?
>
> Greets

At least I could not suspend and resume. I mean that I could not at
all. It would suspend, but nothing would get the moon to turn off or get
any other response except a forced power-off.

Several other things seemed to be unstable according to the two people
in my group that have them. Both were running the previous BIOS dated Sep.
2005. Mine came with the 29-Nov version installed, so I don't have
personal experience.

I am running -current with ACPI and it's not causing any problems.  Note
that I am running without APIC_IO in my kernel. I've been thinking about
trying APIC_IO, but I suspect it will fail completely. I just tried
changing hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch to 0 and I can now suspend
and resume from X, but I no longer had a cursor. Restarting moused
restored the cursor, so I guess everything is now working. ( can put a
command in rc.resume to kick moused. Oddly, turning off
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch fixed my vtys, too.

I do like that the BIOS in the T43 allows boot-time access to full BIOS
configuration, unlike earlier versions which required ps2 which had to
run under DOS or Windows.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)