Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:03:13 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technical/support questions on -newbies

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:08:43PM +0000, clayton rollins wrote:
> > Hi list,
> > > As I'm sure we've all noticed, a lot of questions get asked here
> > that should be re-written, sent to -questions, and/or sent to
> > -hackers.
>
>Oops, not to -hackers, just to -questions :-)
>FreeBSD-questions offers support for everybody, without exception,
>but -hackers is a collaboration space for FreeBSD develpers.
>They wouldn't like newbies straying over there for help.

Ok, here you might want to edit the -newbies *about* page (if you can).
It states:

"Support questions should be sent to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.
Technical questions should be sent to freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org.
(NOT to the newbies list please)"

You're right, the majority of newbie questions would definitely not be
welcome there :). I think I've seen a few device driver questions here
that might be appropriate there. Even in that case, it would be safer
to go through -questions first, to make sure it isn't a faq.

Peace,
Clayton

PS. Thanks for giving me (us) a feeling of a little more control over
whether or not I (we) should respond to these situations. Personally,
I just didn't want to step on any toes.

Need a shot of Hank Williams or Patsy Cline?  The classic country stars are
always singing on MSN Radio Plus.  Try one month free!