Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 15:43:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Newell <mnewell@kaizen.net>
To:        David H <dhawk@netcom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Example of How to Use Ports?

I have the CD-ROM so I get my ports from there.  To set up for doing ports
first I created /usr/ports and put a link to the /cdrom/dists directory
[so that if the distribution is on the CD it doesn't have to be FTP'd]:

  a. mkdir /usr/ports
  b. ln -s /cdrom/ports/distfiles /usr/ports/distfiles

You only need to do this once.  Then to get a port called "myport" all you
need to do is:

  1. cd /cdrom/ports/WHEREVER/myport
  2. mkdir /usr/ports/myport
  3. find . -depth -print | cpio -pd /usr/ports/myport

This copies the distribution for the port to the /usr/ports directory.
Then all you have to do is build the port:

  4. cd /usr/ports/myport
  5. make install

That's the process I use; works for me... :-)

Mike