Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrey Lakhno <land@dnepr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recent ports on 2.2.8-R

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Andrey Lakhno wrote:

> Hi !
>
>   What i need to do to install programs from ports collection on my
>   FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box ?
>
>   Ports collection are fresh. Just cvsupped.
>   Is there any caveats ?

Yes, the ports collection no longer supports 2.x. Any ports which build
and work on that system will be purely coincidental :-)

Either upgrade your system, or if this system is so criticial you can't
upgrade it then consider either not installing ports on it, or building
them yourself.

You could use an older ports collection, but I don't recommend it for
security reasons - old versions of software such as are found in the old
ports collection contain many more security holes than newer versions, on
average

Kris