Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:50:59 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TowerJ for FreeBSD

> Dumb question.   What is TowerJ?   I showed up at this one a bit late.

TowerJ converts byte codes into a native executable on specific
platforms.  The resulting executable is then 'optimized' to remove many
of the slowdowns in Java due to it's dynamic nature, as well as remove
much of the 'intrepreted' hit that you take in Java.

Speedups are generally anywhere from 2-10X a non-JIT'd application.
Swing/AWT is *NOT* supported, and this is mainly meant for server
applications.

In benchmarks of our server application which is highly threaded (1000+
threads), we are seeing a 2-3X speedup over the native Java version.
Note, this is after we've spent significant time/effort optimizing the
crap out of it, so it's pretty impressive.

Nate