From:      "Vladimir I. Kulakov" <kulakov@kudesniki.ru>
To:        "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
Cc:        "'security@freebsd.org'" <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re[2]: Directory invisible by FTP?

Hello Henrik,

HHH> Are you using the default BSD ftp daemon?

Yes.

HHH> I believe the issue is that when
HHH> you chroot a user, the daemon roots them before getting the path to a shell.
HHH> 3 ways around this:

But for all other users the same configuration works fine. I did't
change anything ! It seems the problem is in the www directory
itself...

HHH> 1) Use a FTP daemon which doesn't do this in a rooted environment (ProFTPD
HHH> is one)

Sorry, I don't trust non standard ports (remember WU-Ftpd?)

HHH> 2) Create a root owned /etc and /bin directory inside the users directory.

Yes, I have /home/user/bin with 'ls' in it. Moreover, I can see all
other dirs in /home/user via FTP exept the dir 'www'. BTW, all these dirs
have the same owners and access rights as 'www' !

HHH> Place a copy of 'ls' in the bin and a then copy the passwd and group files
HHH> into your new /etc directory. Edit the passwd and group files to only
HHH> include root (wheel) and the user you want. Remove any references to
HHH> passwords. The passwd and group files are only necessary if you want to be
HHH> able to see usernames instead of UID and GIDS when people view their
HHH> directory.

Ok. I did so, but the problem's still there :(
Can it be caused by some kind of sticky bit, which I heard can be
applied to directory? I tried to change these bits but with no effect
:(

HHH> 3) Go home, have a christmas cake and not worry about it ;)

Thanks ;)
but I can't be happy, if I didn't solve this problem ;)

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:kulakov@kudesniki.ru