Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:00:40 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), steve@visint.co.uk, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps segfaults since I overclocked. and worries.

> If perhaps the sumbitter doesn't understand the error of overclocking:
>
> You just purchased a 1979 Ford Pinto station wagon. However, you are upset
> after driving it for a while that it won't go above 65 MPH. Feeling smart,
> you go and purchase soe rocket fuel. You pour it in your gas tank, and all
> seems well until hit a steep hill, at which time the engine explodes.
>
> This is not the fault of: Ford, the card dealer where you bought the car, or
> the hill itself.

Oh, come on now.  Nobody is looking to find fault with anybody else.  None of us need to reach for our attorneys and insurance adjusters.  Have you never heard of the fine old American tradition of hot-rodding?  Putting better quality fuel into your car is analogous to putting better quality software into your computer.  Your warranty is void, you're responsible for fixing the problems yourself, but there's nothing wrong with asking your friends for their advice and experiences.  If your friends tell you, "Take it to the dealer service department", well, maybe you asked the wrong friends.

Some people will buy the fastest regular-production car on the market, and some will hot-rod a twenty-year-old Ford.  There's room for diversity.