Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:10:50 -0600
From:      Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>
To:        cem@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

> On Jan 25, 2019, at 11:37 AM, Conrad Meyer <cem@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:11 AM Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Are there FreeBSD users that are used to bash?
>=20
> Sure, I am.  I used Linux for about a decade, probably exclusively
> with bash, before using FreeBSD at all.  I don't know enough about
> mksh to comment on it, though.

Ditto, except only 2 years on Linux before coming to FreeBSD.  I tried =
tcsh, since it was the default and in base, but I hated it for =
interactive use.  Notably absent are one-line =E2=80=9Cfor" loops.  On =
new installs, after networking is up, my very first command is =E2=80=9Cpk=
g install bash [and others]=E2=80=9D.

I would love to see any license-compatible Bourne-like shell in base and =
the default.  Our /bin/sh is a lot better for interactive use than it =
was years ago (thanks mostly to Jilles!), but it would be nice to keep =
/bin/sh small and fast, while taking advantage of upstream =
maintainership of a full-featured interactive shell.

Eric=