Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:01:05 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, dubois@primate.wisc.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

Yes, it's pretty bogus.  These are probably the work-arounds that Mark
was alluding to.

As I mentioned at the bottom of my previous message I prefer flock() and
proper permissions on /var/mail.

What I really like is this.

1) mail.local is replaced by procmail and the system wide configuration is
set to deliver mail to /home/%u/mail/mbox.

2) pop3 is modified to look in /home/%u/mail/mbox.  Alternatively, use
imapd.

3) Configure or modify all mailer readers to use /home/%u/mail/mbox as the
inbox.

Yeah, I know.  It would be wishful thinking to ever see a distribution
come this way.

Regards,

Mike Hancock