Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:10:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dane Bullerwell <dane_bullerwell@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mysterious Sysinstall Problems

The Strange Case of The Malfunctioning Computer
(or, Please Help Me, I'm Stuck in Windows!)

I have a problem. I am receiving a plethora of strange
errors when I attempt to use 4.0's
sysinstall.

[Please bear with me. I like to ramble.]

To understand my problem I have to take you back. It
all started when I  slowly came to the realization
that there was More Than Windows. That was about two
years ago. So I bought a CheapBytes CD of Red Hat 4.2,
and went to installing it.

The installation program worked, sort of. I received
all sorts of strange errors during installation, and
had to run the program several times before the
installation completed successfully. I wrote this off
to Linux's supposed difficulty of installation.

But it did work, and I was presented with a Linux
login prompt. I got to work configuring my system, and
eventually had a system that rivaled Windows. There
*were* problems, though. Some programs always
segfaulted. I thought there might be library problems,
but simply re-installing the program would fix the
problem! And installing a third time would re-create
it!

This disheartened me, leading me to believe that Linux
wasn't much more stable than Windows after all. But I
persisted.

I finally gave up when I discovered that a) I could
copy a file from one location to another, and get a
different checksum; b) I couldn't gunzip the kernel
source without a few bits being flipped the wrong way,
and; c) the problems persisted with every Linux
distribution I tried.

I ran all sorts of RAM checking programs, thinking
that I might have bad RAM. Everything turned up fine.
I dual-boot Windows 95, and it's actually been quite
stable for me. I tried disabling my external cache in
my BIOS, with no success. I returned to windows, with
my head hung in disgrace.

A few months later, I decided to try OpenBSD. I spend
a few days downloading 2.4, and was delighted to
discover that it worked without problems. I eventually
decided that OpenBSD wasn't for me, and bought a
FreeBSD 3.1 CD. I installed it, and it also worked.

My love affair with FreeBSD has gone on for over a
year now. FreeBSD was my primary operating system,
used for nearly everything. Until I decided to upgrade
to 4.0 a few days ago.

I decided to do a fresh install. Perhaps, in
hindsight, this was stupid. But it's too late now. I
backed up /home, /etc, /root, and /usr/local/etc, and
prepared to take the plunge.

Everything seemed to work beautifully during the
install, until I reached the point where configuration
began. Program after program sysinstall tried to
invoke crashed with Signal 11. When I tried to log in
to the unconfigured system, everything, from getty on
down, also segfaulted. Again, I pondered some sort of
library error.

So I tried again. This time, I was informed that a
script the sysinstall was trying to invoke was missing
a closing quotation, or somesuch syntactical problem.
That seems especially strange, since I had proceeded
past that part of the install without a problem in the
previous attempt. It's almost as if the copy from the
CDROM to the temporary directory had not copied the
file exactly.

Undaunted, I tried again. This time, there were no
segfaults or script errors. In fact, things worked
beautifully. Until I attempted to install the Linux
emulation files. About half way through, I received
the following error:
panic: ffs_alloccg: map corrupted

In my fourth attempt, I wondered if it might be my
CDROM drive, so I moved the disc to my CDRW drive and
tried the install from there. Again, I received the
map corrupted error.

Sigh.

Everyone tells me it has to be my hardware. I'm
reluctant to believe this, because I ran 3.1 through
3.4 on this machine for over a year, stressing CPU and
memory daily, with no problems. I remade the world
several times. Windows 95 runs, relatively stablely
compared to other Windows systems I've used. RAM
checkers show up nothing.

The sudden appearance of this problem in 4.0 raises a
few questions.

My current hypothesis is this: Linux, and post-4.0
FreeBSD mess around with memory differently than
OpenBSD 2.4 and pre-4.0 FreeBSD. I really can't be any
more specific than this, because I don't know enough
about how operating systems work.

It's kind of depressing, seeing an operating system
I've come to know and love stop working on me so
suddenly.

For the record, my system includes the following:
Intel Pentium 166 (MMX)
32 MBs of EDO RAM
3.2 GB Western Digital IDE HD (Windows Drive)
1.6 GB Fujitsu IDE HD
GoldStar 32x CDROM Drive
HP CD-Writer 8100 CDRW Drive
Aztech Sound III Modem/Sound Card
Creative SoundBlaster 16
El-Cheapo ISA SCSI Card for my Scanner

I'll pop the hood and take a look at my motherboard,
too, if you think that might be the culprit. The sad
part about this whole experience is the fact that I'm
too poor to go shopping for new RAM. If anyone out
there takes pity on me, I'd be more than willing to
accept gifts of hardware. ]=)

Thank you ever so much for reading about my problems.
I would appreciate any guidance you could provide, and
I'd just love to answer any other questions you have.
(Could you please CC: your ideas to my email address,
in case I miss replies on the list?)

Thanks for your time, and putting up with this
somewhat vague and fairly long message,
Dane