Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:18:42 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:09:18AM -0800, Jeremy Karlson stood up and spoke:

> I might be willing to "step up to the plate" to rewrite some userland
> programs, and I'm probably not alone.  Of course, I expect that the ones
> that need to be rewritten are the "tough" ones and probably require a lot
> of work.

This is another issue. In theory, this "work" on re-writing what we already
have, only to make it GPL-free, would probably be much more needed
somewhere else - for example for working on some completely new programs.

If we'd stop all our work now and re-write 30% of FreeBSD all over again,
we'd waste a whole lot of time. The question is if the GPL is actually
threatening us so much that it's worth it. IMHO, as long as we don't start
to stuff our kernel full of GPL code (this started the thread) and
generally try to minimize our future use of GPL code, I think the answer is
NO at this time. However, I do agree that if things are not handled
careful, then the answer may become YES very quickly, and that'd be bad...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany