Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 06:34:30 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9905102008190.5298-100000@crydee.sai.msu.ru>,
"Sergey
 Ayukov (mailing lists)" writes:

> NFSD Host OS   Network  Throughput, KB/s      Comments
>                 speed   Read     Write
> FreeBSD 3.1      100    4500     610 !        vfs.nfs.async=1
> FreeBSD 3.1      100             550          vfs.nfs.async=0
> FTP->FreeBSD     100    6000    3000
> FreeBSD 3.1       10    1040     560          vfs.nfs.async=1
> FreeBSD 3.1       10             330          vfs.nfs.async=0
> Linux             10    1020     800 !
> Solaris 7 (i386)  10     900     480

I don't think that this is an NFS issue.  You'll generally find that
write local filesystem performance of FreeBSD is slower on FreeBSD than
on Linux.  Linux filesystems are written asynchronously while FreeBSD
by default writes metadata synchronously (SMD).  SMD (Synchronous
Metadata) writes are not the same as synchronous writes (all writes to
the filesystem being synchronous)  -- sync option on the mount command.
 IIRC, Bruce Evans made the comment last year that by mounting a
filesystem async, he had an incredible performance improvement.  I'm
sorry I cannot recall the actual percentage of performance improvement.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC
                      "e**(i*pi)+1=0"