Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:49:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   could netscape hose my dialup modem traffic?

   This latest began only after I ungraded to 4.X (I'm currently at 4.1
   and content).  The problem is that occasionally my dialup thru-put
   drops to 5 or 10bps.  Trying to get anything done via telecommuting
   is virtually impossible.

   One thing I thought it might be is the ``stray irq 7'' stderr
   messages... nope, don't think so.  My latest clue was having 3
   netscapes instantiated.  Out of the blue, my response went from
   normal  to  rotten.  To get things back to normal there was only
   one rational move: shutdown -r.

   I'm thinking that this might be a system problem rathen than one
   with ppp.  netscape and DNS?  (?)  I've seen one similar posting
   like this on -questions, but saw no response.

   Anybody know what's happening, or how to trace this?

   TIA, gents,

   gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix