Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:40:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        Manfred Antar <mantar@netcom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL ?

LANMINDS (http://www.lanminds.com) does a DSL coinstall with Covad- they
run some BSDI machines, but also some FreeBSD machines too I believe.
There certainly is at least one person there keenly interested in FreeBSD.

As an ISP they do a pretty decent job. I've had some difficulties
with the DSL install, but I consider myself really an edge case
and would still give them a 'recommend' rating.

The basic hookup gets you a DSL router/modem- so it's not really
germane to a *BSD or Linux or Solaris or what have you kind of
OS issue, except that for most cases IPNAT is your friend and
I gather FreeBSD has that fairly well in hand.

I've heard some negative experiences with IPNAT under FreeBSD
and PacBELL's DSL hookup, but the person reporting that to
me wasn't entirely clear what the issue was- I believe that
there might have been some unfriendly router filtering on
http proxy responses, but I really don't have the details.

FWIW

-matt