Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 00:13:34 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Wilson MacGyver <macgyver@infinet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: direct access to video card

Yes, you can access the vga card directly if you like . Just use
XFree86 DGA extensions to gain access to the card and it is a
dirt cheap of initializing the graphic card for a given resolution.

I implemented a version of "tv" using the DGA extensions which
access the frame buffer directly. Basically, my matrox meteor
video capture buffer dumps the frames straight into my S3 968
linear buffer.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio