Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 21:17:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        x@asdf.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motherboard comparisons

x@asdf.com wrote...
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 9 May 1999, Nicole Harrington wrote:
>
> >  Asus works great, however with the particulat setup I had I kept getting stuck
> > at the "waiting 15 secounds for SCSI devices." I had a bunch of LVD drives
> > hanging off of an adaptec 2940U2W card. I had the same problem with the FIC
> > board. Thus no tests for either.
>
> The same thing is happening to me now. I have an ASUS P2B-LS. I notice
> when this happens the LED on my mobile HD rack turns on and stays on, and
> I have to push the reset button. Even if I press the power button it will
> not turn off. Funny thing is, I added the 'set boot_verbose' command into
> the loader.rc file to see if I could get any more info as to why this is
> happening, and so far it hasn't happened again since I added that line :-)
> We'll see.
>
> Oh, I have MB rev 1007 with the onboard SCSI bios at 2.0.1. I am only
> using one IBM U2 U-star 9 gig drive. It doesn't hang all the time like I
> said above, and sometimes even booting into Windows it will hang. I was
> going to investigate further and maybe upgrade the MB bios to see if it
> helps any.

There's a known hang problem with Adatpec 7890 chips.  Justin has asked
Adaptec for information on the problem so he can work around it, but so far
he hasn't gotten anything.

It's a timing-related bug, so it's not surprising that booting verbose
"fixed" the problem.  The extra printfs probably did the trick.

I would suggest reading the freebsd-scsi list, so you can find out about
problems like this...

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry